Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Parting with Poetry (for the moment…)

In Neglect
They left us so to the way we took
As two in whom they were proved mistaken
That we sit sometimes in the wayside nook
with mischievous, vagrant, seraphic look
and smile if we cannot feel forsaken.

I love this Robert Frost poem that my younger son and I decided to memorize together.  “Together” is a relative thing…he was at school and I was here, at home.  It will surprise no one that he memorized it long before I did and had to help spoon-feed it to me.Blog Robert Frost

Painting of Robert Frost
by Huang Xiang

 

 

 

 

 


I want to memorize another short poem, just to see if I can. Here are two I’m considering:

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
                       Robert Frost

******

Parting
My life closed twice before its close;
It yet remains to see
If Immortality unveil
A third event to me,
So huge, so hopeless to conceive,
As these that twice befell.
Parting is all we know of heaven,
And all we need of hell
                      Emily Dickinson

I supposed I’ll try not to write about poetry again too soon. I was happy to find two blogs and a website and to share them!
Poetry 180
Red Ravine
Poetry for Children (a happy discovery that this is the blog of one of my childhood friends! She gets the Proximity award from me!)

Blog Edna St. vincent millay

Ink, charcoal, colored pencil on paper  Edna St. Vincent Millay drawn by
William Zorach

 

 

 


My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.
                    Edna St. Vincent Millay

That poem reminds me of all of you who inspire me, who keep me searching for art and meaning…I see by the light of your candles! Life is short, but so full of passion!

3 comments:

K Spoering said...

Brenda, Your poetry posts have inspired me, and I have a link to your blog on mine.

OzWeaver said...

Thank you, Kathy!

ybonesy said...

Thanks for the link to red Ravine. We are also lovers of poetry, and of Robert Frost.

I look forward to checking out your blog. It looks from first blush that you are a weaver. I love textiles and am amazed by people who make them.